Wednesday, September 21, 2011

What Did the President Hope to Accomplish

From Althouse: "This I know... When I raise my hand and take that oath of office, I think the world will look at us differently. And millions of kids across the country will look at themselves differently." Quoting Ron Suskind's new book Confidence Men: Wall Street, Washington and the Education of a President.

I don't think the world as a collective body, can rightfully said to give a toss about who is President of the United States. Sure, some people like him, some people hate him and I would wager that most of the world could care less.

But that last sentence bothers me a great deal. Who is the President talking about? Minority kids or all kids? How does the president want them to see themselves? There are lots of questions just about the text of that statement.

Here is the larger question: is that really a good reason to want to become President? So that kids will feel better about themselves?

I have a question for the President--how do you think those kids feel if they happen to be the child of a man or woman who has been unemployed for months? How are they supposed to look at themselves now? How do you think they view you now?

No comments: