Thursday, April 28, 2005

Law School--A Retrospective- Pt. 1

Given that I am nearing the end of my law school career at the Columbus School of Law at Catholic Univeristy, I thought I would take some time and space in this here blog and let everyone know about my experiences. In many ways, I wish I had this outlet four years ago when I started. This is the first in a series of posts (the number of which is unknows) on this subject.

Real fast, I would like to say that I loved law school. I thought it was a fantastic educational experience for me and it has certainly changed the way I look at problem solving, the law, politics and the interaction between people.

However, for every rosy experience there is always something that did not go so well. I have a great many beefs about law school, particularly related to the manner in which evening division students were treated by the administration (more on that in future posts).

Because I had a wife, daughter on the way, dog and a mortgage when I decided to go to law school, I pretty much had no choice but to go to evening division law school, or for those who look down their noeses as "evening people," I attended part time. When ever I say that I hear one of two responses. The first is "Oh, you are one of those" type tones that suggests that somehow my legal education is somehow inferior. The other is incredulity--"I don't know how you did it."

Here is my answer--I took the same course as any law student. I took contracts, property, torts, civil procedure, criminal procedure, constitutional law, professional responsibility, commercial transactions, corporations, agency and partnerships. In short my curriculum was no different than any other law student's course load, the difference is that I took my course over the course of four years rather than three.

The life of an evening division law student with a family is one very large exercise in time management. Now that I am graduating, I can tell you, I get more done in a shorter period of time than most people because I have to concentrate and squeeze the most out of my time. I have to prioritize, I have to schedule and I had to give things up. The hardest thing for me was losing family time and time with my friends. For example, there were many semesters when I would say goodnight to my daughter on Sunday and then not see her in a conscious state until Friday evening. There were times when I wouldn't see my wife awake for two or three days. There is no day division student who has to do that.

I got married six years ago, after I started law school, I saw the best man in my wedding a grand total of about 5 times in four years, and one of those times was his wedding. That is what you give up, time with friends.

I am not suggesting that I would change anything, but it is hard and it is not for everyone. But as with anything there are sacrifices and those sacrifices have to be worth it in the end.

No comments: