Friday, November 11, 2005

Veteran's Day

Today being Veterans Day, I thought I would post a few thoughts about today, what it means to me as a veteran and the heir to a long tradition of military service.

I did not serve as long as my father (22 years in the Navy) or in time of World War like my great uncle (served in the Pacific during World War II), but I nonetheless carry on the traditions of a military family.

What troubles me more and more is the growing divide in America regarding the military. In a time when it is fashionable to have "Support Our Troops" stickers on our cars, there is a growing animosity among some segments of our society about the military. Those who serve come from a wide background and represent the best, brightest, and bravest of America's youth. I hope those to castigate the military as a bunch of war-mongering, testerone-doped, morons remember that it is the military, and the military only, that has done more to protect your right to act like a jackass than any leftie-liberal, war/violence-never-solves-anything, peace-loving, flower-power pacifist has ever done.

The world is a brutal, hard, and nasty place filled with people who would rather kill Americans than look at us no matter what your political persuasion may be, and it takes a group of rough and ready men and women to stand between chaos and civilization. We don't ask for recognition or hero worship; we don't ask for you permission; and we certainly don't ask to be given the back of your hand in dismissal. The military is a reflection of our civilization not just the guardian of it. When you deride the military you deride the very civilization that confers upon you the right to speak your mind, enjoy your liberty and continue to live in the greatest nation on earth. So show a little respect when you pass a veteran, today and every day.

As far as Memorial Day and Veteran's Day goes, I have always preferred Veteran's Day--except when I had to march parades in the cold. Veteran's day is about honoring the living veterans, those whom we can thank personally and presently for their service. And so, today, I raise my glass in toast to:

  • My great uncle Gene Hodgerson of Orlando, Fl (U.S. Navy, ret.)

  • My father, Senior Chief Bernard N. Johnston, U.S Navy, ret.

  • Sgt. Christopher N. Johnston, U.S. Army (my brother)

  • Captain David Bennet, USMC (my brother in law)

  • To all of my shipmates of the past, while the list is too long to mention here, know that I remember you.

  • To all the Sailors, Soldiers, Airmen, and Marines all over the world today, past, present and future, I salute you, your service and your sacrifice.



Humbly,
Quartermaster 3rd Class Matthew S. Johnston (formerly U.S. Navy)



My thanks to OTB, bRight & Early, Michelle Malkin, La Shawn Barber, Stuck on Stupid and the hundreds of other bloggers out there honoring veterans today.

No comments: