Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Three Quick Thoughts on the Tuscon Shooting Reaction

1. It was only a matter of time before we started to discovery these kinds of threats against Sarah Palin. I know many of my liberal colleagues don't like Sarah Palin, my question has always been why? Beyond disagreement with her policy positions, what specifically has Sarah Palin done to warrant such vitriolic, nay, hateful speech?

2. My worry about Congressional reaction to the Tuscon shooting was that our leaders will see the need to distance themselves even further from the people they serve. My thinking was that town hall meetings will come with security and metal detectors or would be held in secure facilities of some type. I also figured that public events will not be publicized far enough in advance to all voters in a given region except for known supporters to create an actual dialog with voters. Turns out, I wasn't nearly wacky enough for some Representatives from both sides of the aisle.

3. I wonder, in light of # 1 up there and the overreaction among the liberal commentariat, blaming Palin, Bush, Tea Party, Conservatives or just about anyone who believes in the right to bear arms, would the reaction be the same if the Congresswoman fighting for her life was Michelle Bachman? Methinks not. There might even have been celebration.

No comments: