Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Zbigniew Brzezinski: Make Public Rich People's Charitable Giving

Stupidity of the week:  Former national security advisor Zbigniew Brzezinski things that published lists of wealthy people's charitable giving is a good idea.

Seriously, you can't make this up.

First, Brzezinsky has how much credibility on this topic?  He is a national security expert (at best--having served in that position some 30 years ago), not on fiscal, tax, finance or economic matters.

Second, the last time I checked, what a person does with their money is their own business.  Who I choose to give to or not give to is my business and I am not rich.  If a person is rich and they don't want to publicize their giving--that is their right--it is an extension of the freedom of speech and of association.

Third, I am pretty sure that most charitable organizations are not and should not be required to disclose the identity of their contributors.

Fourth, how long before this idea is extended to the next step.  The next step will be a determination of whether such groups are worthy of money or a public shaming if a person gives to an unpopular group.

I wish this was made up, I really do, but follow the link and hear for  yourself.

No comments: