Friday, December 22, 2006

Milestones: 2nd Anniversary

Yesterday was the second anniversary of this humble little blog. When I first started this blog, the main purpose was to simply clean out the mental attic and put some thoughts out there that others might read.

Over time, I have come to focus on a few passions, education, politics and campaign finance matters. These subject bring about the greatest passion in me and while some may not share my passion, I hope that the people who are reading this blog can take away a few things to think about.

Anniversary's are naturally a time of reflection and looking back I am generally proud of what I have done in this space. Last year at this time, I implement some changes in this blog, looking to expand things out, including interviews of other bloggers, the photo-a-day project, a more fixed schedule of subject matter and even 7 day a week writing. All of these efforts failed to catch on.

Analyzing what went wrong is pretty easy--life got in the way. But that is not to say that I didn't think the effort was wasted. Trying new things is important for me and the effort I put into this blog has always paid off in terms of personal, if no other, rewards. I do think my "snap--writing" is getting better and in reviewing previous writing, I think my argument skills are improving as well.

One thing that is occuring of late is more readership. I will admit that I am self-centered enough to track readership with the Site Meter and I do check to see what posts are getting the most traffic. Of course, I don't have the ttraffic of Instapundit or Volokh Conspiracy, but there has been a definite uptick of late. I don't know if it is a matter of having something more interesting to say or what, but I can admit to enough narcissism to say that I care and it makes me happy.

At this point, I don't have any New Year's Blogging Resolutions. For long time readers, the few of you out there, you will note the addition of the Daily Top Five. At this point, that may be the only new effort I add.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be happy to entertain them. Until then, have a Merry Christmas, a Happy New Year and thank you so much for reading.

No comments: