Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Tips for Better Writing

Like Lucas McDonnell, I have read and heard a number of different tips for making my writing better and one of the reasons I started this blog was to improve my "snap" writing, that is writing done quickly and usually in relatively short form. I have always thought that my long form, revisionary writing was pretty strong since I have time to compose, revise, reread, research and repeate the process, steadily making my prose a little stronger each time.

However, I felt that if I could make the first words I put on the paper (or rather the computer screen) stronger from the start, my overall writing would improve. So, I decided to focus on "snap" writing, compiling thoughts and arguments quickly and putting them into words in short order. At times, I have been quite prolific and at others (like now) not so productive. But looking back over time, I think that my short form, snap writing has improved over time.

Getting back to Mr. McDonnell, this piece of advice I think is fitting for all writers, of all persuasions:
7. Stop thinking and start writing — and don’t stop.

OK, so I’m suggesting breaking another cardinal rule of writing. Writing instructors will often tell you to plan out what you want to write very carefully.

While a rough sketch of what you want to do is always good to give you a general plan, don’t let it cripple your writing. Instead of trying to plan everything out very carefully, just start writing.

Once you get some ideas down on paper, you may be surprised by what you have to say about a subject. Sometimes the words will simply flow when you just force yourself to get something (anything) down on paper.

And when you feel like you’ve reached a point where you’re out of ideas, try two or three times to continue. Try to make yourself keep writing. If you are really stuck, you’ll know it. Get up and take a break from your writing for a while. You’ll come back to it with renewed energy and fresh ideas.

And remember, like anything else, the more you write, the better you’ll get at it.
I think that the time to plan something out, something in a longer form than what any writer is used to is at the time of research and ordering. So here is my advice from preparing for the essay sections of the bar exam, spend no more than 20% of your time devoted to writing to actually thinking about writing and the rest of the time actually writing.

When writing in long form with time for revision, you can go back and add a little more structure to your paper. You can move sections around that will improve your arguments, increase the flow and provide a path for your reader to follow.

So if you want to improve your writing, write a lot and read a lot. It really is that simple.

No comments: