Thursday, October 15, 2009

Jozy Altidore Puts Phil Brown and the World on Notice

Ives Galarcep's quick summary of hte U.S. Men's National Team draw with Costa Rica had this bit:
Jozy Altidore was a man possessed. We all know the teenage striker has tons of talent, but on Wednesday night we say a player who combined both talent and a determination to win. He acknowledged after the match that he is determined now to make the most of every chance and every game because it can all be taken away at any moment.


“Charlie’s really close to all of us and I just realized that at any single second you might not be able to play like you would so you have to make sure you take every opportunity,” Altidore said. “I realized that, and I realized that the hard way, by my friend not being able to play for five or six months. I’m going to try and make sure that from now on, when I step on the field I will play like its my last because you never know.”


As devastating and sad as Davies' situation is, there is comfort in knowing that he has inspired teammates, including Altidore, and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Altidore goes to Hull City now and becomes a force.
I wouldn't be surprise either.

Like a lot of young men and women, it is hard to believe that at age 19, your professional playing career, which you have had for two+ years, could come to an end in the blink of an eye. That Jozy has learned this lesson will probably be the boost that could take Jozy to the next level. I do believe he will work very, very hard in the next months. I will be wonderful to watch the young man make an impact with Hull City and with the national team.

Watch out world, Jozy is coming at you.


No comments: