Wednesday, July 05, 2006

A Nice Little Unannounced Break

Having now recovered from a nice little unannounced break (thanks to a faulty cable modem), I have returned to blogging.

In the downtime, I spent Fourth of July in Baker Park in Frederick, Maryland. I am not sure what other small cities do, but I love the Fourth in Frederick. They have live music (local acts mostly, but with some mid-level national acts), lots of food (none of it good for you--except the bottled water they sell at massively inflated prices), games for the kids, games for the adults, just two or three beer gardens, lots of discreet security to make sure drunks don't get too rowdy, and a pretty good fireworks display. Granted, the fireworks 30 or so miles away in Washington, DC are more impressive, but not as personal.

My kids love the fourth, even Pudding, the nine-month old.

I have maintained my streak of not working--on anything--not even laundry, on the Fourth since leaving the Navy 12 years ago.

No comments: