Monday, February 26, 2007

Blogs That Make Me Think

Last week, Darren at Right on tthe Left Coast named me a a blog that makes him think. To say I am honored would be an understatement. Keeping the meme going made me think pretty hard. Like Darren said, there are lots of blogs that I read regularly, some daily, some a couple times a week. Most I read for a specific set of information or a take on things going on, some make me think, but here is a list of the top five that make me think, in no particular order.

Clear Commentary by Philip Mella. Mella's blog is a relatively new addition to my regular reading. While his viewpoint is certainly conservative, his writing is insightful and always solid.

The Liberty Papers. Although I have something of a libertarian bent on a number of social policy matters, I am not a libertarian. The Liberty Papers is and contrary to what a lot of "libertarians" write, the blog presents quite a principaled look at issues. Some people will call themselves libertarian, but talk to or read them enough you will find them not as libertarian as they profess, these guys are.

More Soft Money, Hard Law is a challenging title of the blog written largely by Bob Bauer of PerkinsCoie. Bauer, probably the leading Democratic campaign finance lawyer around, writes very thoughtful arguments about campaing finance law. While I don't agree with everything Bauer writes, I never leave his pages without thinking about what I just read.

The Volkh Conspiracy--you don't have to be a lawyer to be challenged to think after reading posts by any of the Conspirators. Topics tend to focus on legal matters, but politics, public policy and even Star Wars make appearences.

Discriminations is a blog that is hard to pin down as either an education blog, which is where is resides in my shortcuts list or a policy blog. But however you characterize it, the blog asks us to think very hard about our preconceptions regarding race and society.

No comments: