Monday, December 21, 2009

"It doesn't 'border on immoral': It drives straight through the frontier post and heads for the dark heartland of immoral."

Mark Steyn on the rank bribery going on to get the health care bill done.

Look, I know "favors" are traded in order to corral votes, but the Senate is not even trying to demonstrate any kind of trade here--it is simply the purchase of votes.

Here is the funny thing to me. Democrats and campaign finance demagogues routinely claim that a $5,000 or even a $25,000 bundle of contributions can "buy" votes in Congress. Sorry, there is no one better at buying votes and a Congressional leader who wants to get a bill passed. To paraphrase Steyn, if I give $2300 to a Congressional candidate--that is my money and my choice. But Congress is spending my money to buy votes of people who don't represent me for their bill that I don't support.

Yeah, the heartland of immoral.

No comments: