Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Charlotte Mayor Tells Truth and Won't Apologize for It

Charlotte, North Carolina Mayor Pat McCrory has my vote, assuming of course I could vote in Charlotte. La Shawn Barber has the story:
Whenever I hear a man apologize for telling the truth because some idiotic group puts pressure on him, I want to vomit.

But I won’t be retching today.

Pat McCrory, the mayor of Charlotte, North Carolina, wrote that too many black youth were imitating the gangster lifestyle in their behavior and dress, a true statement. (Charlotte Observer) McCrory noted that 60 percent of Charlotte’s gang members are black.

A local chapter of the long irrelevant NAACP was in an uproar over the statement. The president of the local branch said McCrory had painted “African American youth with a broad swath that cuts deep in many of our communities” and “demanded” an apology. McCrory has refused. Why?

“Because my comments were accurate. Period,” he said.

That’s a gentlemanly way of saying, “Kiss my a**.”

Too many black “youth” eschew education and decent living, while embracing a lifestyle that glorifies criminal activity, triflingness (yes, there’s such a word), and having illicit and zero-responsibility sex with as many women as possible. The resultant children are sentenced to fatherless homes and instability. That, too, makes me sick to my stomach.

But daring to name a thing is worst than being the thing, in this twisted society.

Blacks cannot complain about what white people may or may not be doing to them when they don’t even care about their own children. I’ve lost patience with it, and I advise everybody — no matter what color you are — to stop being afraid of the truth or of black people making demands. Take it from an insider: the bark, as loud and annoying as it is, is much worse than the bite.
Like Barber, I hope McCrory doesn't back down.

Simply put, we need leaders like McCrory who are unafraid of the facts and unapologetic about bringing those facts to light. If only more elected leaders were like McCrory.

No comments: