Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Who is Public Education Supposed to Help?

That is the question posed by Dave Johnston (no relation) on Edspresso:
I read three items recently that led me to the conclusion that many people don't really understand who public education is intended to help. I've always thought that public education was about preparing California's children for success in college and the world of work. As I read these articles, I can't help but feel that other people have a different view.

snip

These three articles are typical of what we see in the newspaper every day. It seems as though all of these other considerations take priority and that the needs of our children take a back seat to other concerns. In public education, the bulk of our problems are caused by the adults involved and not the children. In my ideal world of school reform, all the adults could put their personal agendas aside and focus their efforts on meeting the needs of kids to be prepared for college and work in their futures. I think we're a long, long way from my idea world, but I try my hardest to keep looking forward to that day. In the meantime, we just need to work within our sphere of influence to make a difference where we can.
Here is the number one reason why kids end up last in line in the education world is that they don't vote. It is as simple as that. If the students had a vote in school board elections and input on union contracts, you can bet the scenario would be a lot different. This is where parents have to step into the breach and demand accountability and transparency from all the adults in the education bureaucracy.

No comments: