Monday, August 01, 2005

Chris Dodd--Rewriting the Constitution

With a young daughter demanding attention on Sunday's I generally don't get to watch the Sunday news shows. But I generally try to catch replays on CSPAN or read the transcripts. Fox News Sunday had some interesting Constitutiuonal revision going on in a exchange with Senator Chris Dodd (D-CT) from which we get this little gem:

The open-ended question for us clearly is what are his views about some of the basic values, the equal protection clause, the privacy clause of the Constitution.

Now I generally don't expect Senators to be intimately aware of all the ins and outs of constitutional law interpretations and such. However, I do expect them to know what is actually IN the Constitution and know the LANGUAGE used.

I have read the Constitution cover to cover on many occaisions and I still can't find a privacy clause. The Framers must be rolling over in their graves!!!

I might even forgive a freshman senator of this gaff, but Dodd has been in the Senate for 30 years. I would expect him to have read the Constitution a few times.

On another issue, why should we decry the lack of civics and government education in our kids if our Senators apparently need some as well.

No comments: