Tuesday, January 17, 2006

What Should Ed Schools Teach?

Kim over at No. 2 Pencil reports on the George Will trouncing of Ed schools. Other bloggers, including myself, have also discussed Will's article.

The comments at these posts have led me to pose this question:

What should Ed schools be teaching to its students, both graduate and undergrad?

I would think that schools should be teaching skills to teach various subjects, from math to reading to science to history, etc. Each subject area requires different skills to impart knowledge and engage students. I think class about evaluating students, i.e. test design, could be helpful. Perhaps classes on educational psychology.

As an attorney by training, I can say that I have no concrete understanding of what should be taught. But given that many people read this blog and the Carnival of Education, I thought I might ask.

Please post your thoughts in the comments.

No comments: