Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The Daily Top Five: March 21, 2007

Sorry for no Top Five yesterday, my sister was in town.

1. I may be guilty, from time to time, of not offering solutions to education problems, but that doesn't mean my criticism is not worthwhile. But Bill Ferriter seems to think that when I, and others, don't offer constructive suggestions, that we are not worth the time:
One of my greatest frustrations as a classroom teacher are critics who regularly hurl stones at the public school system without offering any productive solutions to the "educational crises" that they seem to find around every turn.
This smacks a little of the "I'm a teacher and only I can offer suggestions for change" meme that drives me nuts.

2. Here is Edspresso's take on the windfall coming to KIPP.
The one thing each donor had in common? Recognition of KIPP's past performance. Like it or not, this is what donors are after: an assurance that their donation will produce results. And school choice critics can bash KIPP until they're blue in the face, but KIPP has produced results that are not merely outstanding and quantifiable, but predictable. These donors clearly believe that KIPP can expand and retain its same high standards. Could they be wrong? Sure. But it's a calculated risk they're willing to take.
Good stuff.

3. This is one of the best descriptions of issues surrounding public financing of political elections in some time. As the debate heads in a new direction, this is a good primer.

4. Betsy Newmark has a call for some perspective and history on the U.S. Attorney firings.
I'd be interested in knowing if it's true that Clinton fired 30 of his own Democratic prosecutors. If so, I suggest that some journalist research who those 30 fired prosecutors were and why they were let go. Could it have been that Clinton exercisted his executive perogative to fire prosecutors who he didn't feel were either doing a good job or were not pursuing cases according to the Clinton agenda. If it's an outrage for the Bush administration to fire their own Republican prosecutors, then let's see if Clinton did the same thing.
Good question.

5. Is there such a thing as running for Vice President? No candidate will admit to it, but clearly some have to be contemplating the possibility.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Matt wrote:
This smacks a little of the "I'm a teacher and only I can offer suggestions for change" meme that drives me nuts.


Hey Matt,

I hate the "I am Teacher, Hear me Roar" crowd too. There is little doubt that those beyond the classroom have legitimate ideas shaped by perspectives that teachers couldn't possibly have experienced, and that those ideas can help to drive improvement in our system of public education.

My criticism isn't of critics. Instead it is of polemics who thrive on controversy and who use divisive tactics and propoganda in place of reasoned thought.

I'll bet that you can name ten bloggers on the left who engage in those kinds of theatrics all the time....and I'll bet that I can name ten on the right.

None of them are worth our time.

Looking forward to paging through your site.

Bill