Sunday, April 15, 2007

MD Boy Burned by Acid

How, you may wonder. From the Balitmore Sun:
A 2 1/2 -year-old boy was severely burned yesterday afternoon at the playground of a Middle River elementary school after going down a slide doused in sulfuric acid and landing in a pool of the corrosive liquid.

Authorities said they believe vandals stole the industrial-strength drain cleaner from a storage closet at Victory Villa Elementary School and poured it over pieces of playground equipment.

The boy, who lives less than a quarter-mile from the school, was in fair condition last night at Johns Hopkins Hospital's pediatric burn unit. He was being treated for third-degree chemical burns - the acid having penetrated three layers of skin.

"We found this liquid on everything - the jungle gym, the monkey bars - everything," said Baltimore County Police Department spokeswoman Sgt. Vickie Warehime. "Having one child hurt is one too many, but it's amazing - and we're so thankful - that more children weren't hurt."

Yesterday's incident came just two days after a similar one in Texas. A 2-year-old girl there suffered minor burns on her left forearm and buttocks after she got on a playground slide. Investigators in the Austin suburb of Leander said they believe someone sprayed the slide, benches and the grass at a community park with hydrochloric acid stolen from a community pool, according to media reports. The girl was back home by Friday.
Whoever has done this in both location are some real sick puppies.

Please, if anyone knows about these events, please come forward with the information.

1 comment:

bridgett said...

There is also a little girl, that was burned going down the slide here in texas. She wasn't hurt nearly as bad, but they doused the entire playground with the stuff. It's sick, just real sick.