Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Jennifer Dunn Dead at 66

Former Congresswoman Jennifer Dunn (R-WA) has died in Alexandria, VA.
A statement issued by the office of her son, King County Councilman Reagan Dunn, said, "Jennifer collapsed from a pulmonary embolism in her Alexandria, Va., apartment and never regained consciousness. She passed peacefully surrounded by family."
I had met Dunn while lobbying and found her to be whip smart and well versed in the health care issues I was dealing with.

I didn't know much about her background prior to her coming to Congress, but in Congress she was a hard charger, with a string of firsts or near firsts for women in the Chamber and among Republican women. She was very fiscally conservative as I recall (as do others), but I didn't know about her involvement in the Amber Alert legislation.

She had retired from Congress in 2004, hoping to spend more time with her family and sadly, that time was cut short.

No comments: