Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Obama Inconsistency: Trading One War for Another

Forgive me for being obtuse, after I am a conservative and according to the liberal "elite" running this country, I am just a dolt. But wasn't part of President Obama's campaign premised on the idea of "Bush Lied, Kids Died" in Iraq?

I have no problem with people espousing a perference for diplomacy over war, heck as a former military man, I think diplomacy is a good idea. But there are evil people in this world, they wish this nation, my home, ill-will and simply cannot be negotiated with. Terrorists like Al-Queda have one and only one position--death to America.

So the Iraq war was considered by many in this country to be an unjust war, i.e. a war for oil. Those on the left and a few on the right felt we had no business conducting nation building in the middle east. Okay, we might disagree, but it is a valid position. But then how does the Obama Administration justify this position.
President Obama intends to adopt a tougher line toward Hamid Karzai, the Afghan president, as part of a new American approach to Afghanistan that will put more emphasis on waging war than on development, senior administration officials said Tuesday.
Afghanistan is one of the poorest countries on Earth, it would seem to me that development, economic aid and infrastructure construction, which increases the standard of living, lifting people out of poverty and giving them more freedom is exactly the kind of program that liberals would espouse. But Obama (a liberal) believes that fighting a war is the better path in Afghanistan? I don't get it.

I can accept that Obama has different political perspectives than I. I don't agree with them, but I can respect them--if they are consistent. Here, we see a classic case of inconsistency that plagues the left.

I am sorry, I don't get this policy position--it seems to fly in the face of Obama's positions.

No comments: