Monday, May 16, 2005

CBS News | More Parents Outsourcing Etiquette | May 12, 2005�20:30:26

Hat Tip to Joanne Jacobs. This says a lot about modern parenting.

I can't say that I learned all the proper manners for a formal dinner, but certain rules of behavior were instilled by my decidedly middle class parents. Why do parents, particularly those featured in this article need to send their kids to etiquette school? I mean, as a teenager, I may not have known a shrimp fork from a salad fork, but I knew enough to to talk with my mouth full, or behave like an ass at the dinner table.

Apparently these parents didn't teach their kids from a young age so now they have to spend money teaching their kids as teenagers. What ever happened to the idea that parents take the primary role in the social education of their kids, leaving such things as etiquette training if you are going to some high society tea.

If they want to waste their money, perhaps I should open and etiquette school. Lesson number 1--parents teach your kids how to behave at the dinner table--I will teach them which fork to use.

More Parents Outsourcing Etiquette

No comments: