Thursday, May 12, 2005

Missing Music

Having spent most of the last week listening to CD's of law lectures to get ready for the bar exam, I have not done a "This Week's Listen" in a while. I thought I could go old school, but as I said, not much happening musically. However, Michael over at Highered Intelligence posted this short little quiz about music that I thought was entertaining. So here goes.

1. Of all the bands/artists in your CD/record collection, which one do you own the most albums by?
Probabably Joe Satriani. A close second would be Van Halen.

2. What was the last song you listened to?
"Onda" by Los Lonely Boys--great piece that is largely instrumental.

3. What's in your CD player right now?
The Girl in the Other Room by Diana Krall.

4. What song would you say sums you up?
Good Question. If you look at from my viewpoint, I would probably have to say "Dream" by Van Halen, "Flying in a Blue Dream" by Joe Satriani, or "Duck and Run" by 3 Doors Down. From the viewpoint of others, I think the most likely would be "Cult of Personality" by Living Colour or "We Didn't Start the Fire" by Billy Joel since most people know about my penchant for politics and history.

5. What's your favorite local band?
Slackjaw (not really local to me, but more down in Charlottesville, VA, but I loved their stuff.)

6. What was the last show you attended?
For kids shows we saw The Wiggles, which for a kids show was quite good. For adult music--
Santana, when he was out promoting Shaman (with a young daughter, concerts are hard to go to.)

7. What artist do you consider to be very underrated?
Tesla. Everybody bashed them as unoriginal, but their straight ahead rock and roll did well. And oh yeah, their Five Man Acoustical Jam album was at the forefront of the acoustical set trend.

8. What's the worst band you've ever seen in concert?
I saw the Cranberries in concert and wasn't all that impressed. Their music was good, but I didn't really dig them live.

9. What band do you love musically but hate the members of?
Wow, a tough one. I don't really have one.

10. What is the most musically involved you have ever been?
This is it, I am a fan of music but never studied music or anything.

11. What show are you looking forward to?
Can't say.

12. What is your favorite band shirt?
I have this shirt from when Dave Matthews Band was on tour supporting "Before These Crowded Streets," for as much as I wear it and it has been washed, the shirt is in remarkable condition. Plus I love the logo.

13. What musician would you like to hang out with for a day?
For music discussion, either Diana Krall or Joe Satriani. To party, no doubt Sammy Hagar.

14. Metal question- Jeans and Leather vs. Cracker Jack clothes?
Jeans and leather.

15. Sabbath or solo Ozzy?
Ozzy

16. Commodores or solo Lionel Ritchie?
The Commodores.

17. Blackjack or solo Michael Bolton?
Anything but Michael Bolton. He is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

18. The Eagles or solo Don Henley?
Tough Choice, but I would go with Henley.

19. The Police or solo Sting?
Again a tough choice. Probably Sting since he has done a lot of different things. But the best musician in the Police was Stuart Copeland.

20. Doesn't emo suck?
I have no clue (seriously)

21. Name 4 flawless albums.
Van Halen--For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
Joe Satriani--The Extremist
Diana Krall--The Girl in the Other Room
Boston--Third Stage

22. Did you know that filling out this survey makes you a music geek?
And you point is.....

23. What was the greatest decade for music?
Right now. If you can't find something that appeals to you musically, you are trying hard enough. There is great jazz, rock, punk, classical, country, crossover stuff, even rap that is being made. For someone with a lot of musical tastes, this is a great time to be a musical consumer.

24. How many music-related videos/DVDs do you own?
Four or five.

25. Do you like Journey?
Yes.

26. What is your favorite movie soundtrack?
Hmmm. Good Question. I liked the soundtrack for Singles. But for a more classical feel, probably Lord of the Rings.

27. What was your last musical "phase" before you wised up?
Each phase has its own wisdom even now.

28. What's the crappiest CD/record/etc you've ever bought?
Vanessa Carleton--I don't know the name of the album, but I get the feeling the album was put together too fast and centered on one song.

29. Do you prefer vinyl or Cd's?
CD's no doubt about it.

30. What is your guilty pleasure CD, that being the CD you love but would be ashamed to admit you have in your collection?
I can't name one. Every CD I own (even Vanessa Carleton) has an appeal that I would not be ashamed to admit.

No comments: