Monday, May 16, 2005

Student-Athletes--They Really Do Exist

When I was a high school student many years ago, there existed a distinct dichotomy between the athletes of the school and the advanced students. I could count on two hands the number of varsity letter holders who had a GPA over 3.0 (I am proud to say I was one of them). A surprising number of them were soccer players, a coincidence I can't explain.

Once I was in college, I found that the dichotomy between students and athletes was exacerbated, particularly when dealing with the so-called money sports of football and basketball. But this story highlights the fact that true student-athletes do exist on campuses. Of course, I haven't seen a student-athlete of this caliber on a Division I campus, but maybe one day.

If this man doesn't get a professional soccer playing career, chances are that he will own a soccer team one day.


A Balance of Academics and Athletics - New York Times

No comments: