Monday, July 07, 2008

Obama on Abortion, States Rights

Hmmmm:
I have repeatedly said that I think it’s entirely appropriate for states to restrict or even prohibit late-term abortions as long as there is a strict, well-defined exception for the health of the mother. Now, I don’t think that “mental distress” qualifies as the health of the mother. I think it has to be a serious physical issue that arises in pregnancy, where there are real, significant problems to the mother carrying that child to term. Otherwise, as long as there is such a medical exception in place, I think we can prohibit late-term abortions.
But what does that mean?

That reads to me like that Obama is reluctant to really change the way that abortion laws are structured in this country. It also says to me, that at least in Obama's mind, there really is no dispute to be found in abortion law.

In reality, there is little change that will happen regarding abortion in this country. I do believe that both sides are genuinely adamant in their beliefs (a few extremists excepted), but I also believe that there will be little if any substantive change in abortion laws going forward--no matter who wins the White House and no matter how conservative the Court becomes.

No comments: