Monday, August 10, 2009

Not Your Average Fishing Trip

A shark jumped INTO a fishing boat off the coast near Miami.
Michael Powers and his friends were on-board a 21 foot boat Saturday, when a shark decided to pay them an unannounced visit. "One minute it was in the air, the next minute it was in the boat just beating everything in God's creation," Micheal recalled. "It hit one of the crew members. It hit Patricia, then it went between Paul's legs and my legs in the back. We're all scattering for cover trying to get up on the deck and out of anywhere we could, just to be safe," Michael said.

The 5 1/2 foot bull shark shark injured itself after violently flopping around the boat. "I'm thinking the whole time it was a porpoise and little did I know when I finally got up, and was like, 'I'm OK,' and I looked around, and he's like it's a shark. It all happened so quick," said Patricia Bell.

"Oh my God, I didn't want to turn around. I heard the noise going on and when I stumbled and got up and looked, she was OK," Vance Bell said.

PJ Dunne, 14, was worried about his father. "The most thing I was worried about was my dad. I thought he got bit but thank God he didn't," he said.

It took about 30 minutes for the shark to calm down and stop breaking things in the boat. "We waited for her to calm down after 30 minutes and bleeding all over the deck and busting everything up. We tail roped her and we tried to lift her out with a pole and a net we used to get the lobster in. The thing probably weighed 100 to 125 pounds, so there was no doing that. We were able to get the rope underneath it, then we went ahead and pulled it up between the live-well here, got it up on the deck, and we man handled it, grabbed it by its fins and threw it in the water," said Michael.
Fortunately, no one but he shark was injured.

No comments: