Wednesday, October 26, 2005

2000 Sacrifices I Honor

Every time today I have seen a headline in the news papers about the death toll in Iraq, I get angry. This post about2,000 American Deaths in Iraq over at Cao's blog brings to light some very good points. These deaths, while each is to be mourned, they are not tools for the media to advance an anti-war agenda or for Cindy Sheehan and her wannabe war protesters to beat us over the head with. Cao also provides this link to this list of stats:

2,403: Americans killed at Pearl Harbor
2,976: Americans lost on 9/11
9,386: American soldiers killed taking Normandy
12,500: American soldiers killed taking Okinawa in WW2
24,000: American soldiers on both sides killed at the battle of Antietam during the Civil War
54,246: American troops killed in Korea
58,198: American soldiers killed in Vietnam
116,516: American soldiers killed in World War 1
133,811: Confederate troops killed in the Civil War
295,000: American soldiers killed in World War 2
364,511: Union Soldiers killed during the Civil War

If we are beginning to get squeemish now, Lord help us if we are ever asked to do this difficult work again.


Each time I see the press and war protesters argue about this, I am reminded of my own service and and event that happened during my time in the Navy. I once had a very cushy job showing the public around the Pentagon (this was before security concerns ended such tours).

While showing a group the Hall of Heroes, which lists all the people who have received the Medal of Honor, a woman got pretty incensed at the idea of military. (don't ask me why she was taking a tour). She seemed particularly incensed at "pointless violence of war." I pointed out that war is not pointless violence, but violence with a very specific political purpose. The military does not make war upon anyone or any country without some sort of poltical determination by the elected leadership of this country. She responded with, "well I didn't elect this president." Referring to George H.W. Bush (41). This was just after the Gulf War. She said, she couldn't understand why young men and women like me would do what we do, knowing that it could cost us our lives. We then engaged in this exchange I remember vividly. Slightly edited since some of her language would offend most--although not this sailor.

ME: "Ma'am, you have beliefs you obviously hold very dear, correct?"

Her: "of course."

Me: "Are you willing to admit that others may have views in direct contravention to yours that they hold just as dear, including people in teh military."

Her: "Yes, I guess so."

Me: "If you hold some beliefs particularly strong, would you, if forced to, be willing to die for such beliefs."

Her: "Yes."

Me: "Would you be willing to die for the beliefs of someone whose very opinions and speech makes your blood boil with anger, whose contrary beliefs run so counter to your own that you cannot stand their very existence?"

Her: "No."

Me: "And that is what separates the military from you. They are willing to die for your right to insult and belittle them and their sacrifices made on your behalf."

I am also reminded of the speech given by Jack Nicholson's character in A Few Good Men:

You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has walls. And those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: That Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives.

You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You me there! We use words like honor, code, loyalty...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I'd prefer you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to.


To all those in the media who will make a spectacle of this tragic milestone, remember, your freedom of the press is guaranteed by a few rough and ready young men and women who guard your freedom. They have now brought those same kinds of freedom to 25 million more people who sleep under a blanket of freedom they did not have 5 years ago.

To my Shipmates, Soldiers, Marines and Airmen, past, present and future, I salute you, I thank you, and if you ever need anything you have but to ask. I am honored and humbled to have been, if only for a short time, in your company.

Linked to Cao's Blog

No comments: