Friday, October 28, 2005

Steele in Spotlight as Campaign Kicks Off

As Lt. Governor Michale Steele begins his campaign for the Senate, I have to admit that I have been an admirer of the man since I met him in 1998 when he was a candidate for Attorney General and I was working on a Congressional campaign.

What impressed me most was his easy-going manner, but also the fact that he is clearly focused on really helping people. I will say this, I am an unabashed supported of Mr. Steele and I very much hope he is elected. Here is his campaign website, which is a little sparse on information.

The Washington Post story above notes quite well that Steele supported the Ehrlich administration whole-heartedly--even to the point of intimating that the Ehrlich administration muzzled Steele. I disagree. Steele understands his place in the administration (and it is not to be the token minority). His job as Lt. Governor was to advance the political agenda of the governor. I am sure, and have heard second-hand, that in private Steele voiced his opinion to the governor, hoping to persuade. But when the governor gave orders, Steele followed them. In an era where backstabbing politics is the norm and "informed but anonymous sources" is the way in which petulant politicians whine when they don't get their way, Steele stayed away from it. The Post seems to indicate that is a bad thing, I think it an honorable thing.

Steele will now stand on his own in teh spotlight and I think he will do well.

No comments: