Monday, February 07, 2005

Superbowl Commercials

Of course a lot of people watch the Superbowl for the game (which was a good one, although the Eagles perhpas blew their chance by taking up a shocking amount of time in the 4th Quarter drive that ended with a TD seconds after the 2- minute warning--but enough of the sport commentary). A lot of people also watch for the commercials. I must say that I am supremely disappointed.

The car company ads sucked, particularly after Ford pulled their ad (see my post from last week). The only one I though hilarious was the Ameriquest ad where the fellow, trying to be romantic and cook a good meal for his significant other has trouble with the cat, who spills the marinara sauce, creating a red puddle, the man grabs the cat with a knife in one hand and holding the cat in the other, his SO walks in to that scene. The tag line, something like, "don't judge too soon" or something like that. I thought it was great, but I am surprise the PETA has gone nuts over it (at least I haven't seen anything.).

Leave it to Budweiser and Anhueser-Busch to come up with the heart-string ad. A group of soldiers walking through the airport gets a standing ovation from the passengers in the terminal. I personally am glad to see something like that, although it doesn't happen enough. When I was in the military, no one gave the troops a second thought. Today, I am proud to see soldiers, marines, sailors and airmen treated with the respect they are due. These men and women do a fabulous job, for crappy pay, in crappy conditions and until now--no recognition outside of the military.

Aside from that, I didn't really see any ads that stood out. In their quest for a vanilla Super Bowl broadcast, the Fox network did a good job. Thankfully the game was entertaining.

No comments: