Tuesday, February 15, 2005

This Week's Listen

This week I started listening to Diana Krall's The Girl in the Other Room. My father first introduced me to Krall's music and from minute one, I fell in love with her voice. Her voice is so smooth, warm, and sensual. Having seen her live in Paris DVD, I must admit that while not a dynamic performer in terms of movement, she is perhaps one of the most powerful singers in jazz today.

This album, like many of her others, contains music written by others, like "Stop This World," but the bulk of the work is written by Krall and her husband Elvis Costello. The music is soothing (not something to listen to if you have a long drive ahead) and again Krall's voice is pure heaven. What is fun about this album is the cover tunes. Krall does a wonderful job with Tom Waits' "Temptation" and Joni Mitchell's "Black Crow." But not having heard the originals in a long time, I can't compare. Krall's version is good solid musicianship and vocals, I find now fault. However her other cover tune, Bonnie Raitt's version of "Love Me Like a Man" lefting me wanting more. I don't know if it is so much that I like Raitt's version so much more or if I just never thought of the tune as one for piano. This is not to say that Krall's version is not technically proficient, but I just think it is a song for guitar.

I have a thing for quiet piano as a relaxation method and Krall doesn't disappoint. She is a talented musician and when combined with outstanding pros like Jeff Hamilton on drums and John Clayton on bass (both of whom are in the Live in Paris recording) Krall really shines.

Now for my favorite tracks

"Departure Bay" it is not the music so much as the imagery of the lyrics in this track. Krall and Costello do a wonderful job of setting a scene and giving me an idea of a place-real or imagined.

"I've Changed My Address" The combination of pacing, piano and vocals makes this song, in my mind, a classic. I hope it lasts beyond Krall.

"Abandoned Masquerade" Can't put my finger on why I like it, but I do. Some songs just have that effect.

No comments: