Wednesday, April 16, 2008

In Memorium--Virginia Tech


Today is the one year anniversary of the Virginia Tech Massacre and the Virginia Tech Day of Remembrance. Read the bios of the victims.

In particular, my fraternity, Phi Sigma Pi lost family members. Erin Peterson was nearing the end of her initiation period when she was killed. Phi Sigma Pi's Virginia Tech Chapter has a special memorial to her.
Erin's funeral on April 24th was attended by well over 1,000 family and friends, including over sixty Alpha Rho Brothers whom wore their brother pins and purple and gold ribbons in a show of unity. Erin was laid to rest in the shirt she rightfully earned but never had a chance to wear during life: her letters. She was posthumously inducted into Alpha Rho Chapter with the rest of her initiate class.
It may be hard for people not in our Fraternity to understand, but even though I never met Erin and indeed have had little contact with the Virginia Tech Chapter since my active collegiate days, some of the best Brothers I know came from that chapter and I have spent some wonderful times in Blacksburg. Their pain is my pain, their tears, my tears.

Phi Sigma Pi has a saying, Brothers for Life. And even in the after life.



This post will remain at the top of the blog today.

No comments: