Monday, June 09, 2008

My Naval Career In A Nutshell

Every once in a while, I talk about my time in the Navy, and it is hard to describe the two very different work environments in which I served. But the most recent issue of All Hands magazine has an article on both the U.S. Navy Ceremonial Guard and the art of underway replishment--both of which I did.

As for the Ceremonial Guard, I did a little cross training into the Casket Bearers Platoon, enough to be able to fill-in in a pinch, but I spent most of my time in the Colors Platoon. This article focuses on the Casket Team. There have been some excellent upgrades at Ceremonial Hall, including references to training opportunities in Navy Ratings, but some of the things are little different from teh early 1990's--including lots of time working on your uniforms, brass, shoes and ceremonial routines. (Although we never used canned starch--only bottles.)

UNREP is described as an underway gas station, which is not inaccurate. It is an interesting dance of man, machinery and very large ships in very close quarters.

No comments: