Thursday, December 11, 2008

A Congress of Pushovers

I think this is taking the Spending Clause a little too far. For those Members of Congress who haven't read Article I of the Constitution, it permits Congress to spend for the general welfare, but that doesn't include making Americans feel like Congress "cares." I simply don't know what to say:
Sen. Max Baucus (D-Mont.), the chairman of the Senate Finance Committee, said the federal government is going to have to spend a “significant” amount of money if it is going to get the country out of its current economic troubles -- despite rapidly ballooning federal deficits, historic unemployment, and the hundreds of billions already spent.

“One thing we’ve learned from past recessions, is that you’ve just got to spend money to get out of it,” he said, in response to questions from CNSNews.com.

Baucus said there wasn’t any formula behind that spending, saying that it would be up to Congress to determine the best course for economic recovery.

“We just have to use our best judgment (because) there’s no science to this,” the senator explained. “We just have to spend some significant money.”

Baucus, speaking to reporters Wednesday about financial issues for 2009, said that government needs to spend big not only to create jobs, but to let the public know it cares.

“You start to send the psychological signal that Congress doesn’t care,” Baucus said. “What are people going to do then, if they think Congress doesn’t care?”
Just because I don't buy my dauthers everything they want doesn't mean I don't love them.

I don't pay Congress to spend money (an enumerated power) in order to show they care, I expect them to do so wisely. Congress has to act like a parent here and say to Americans wanting a hand out, "No, you can't have that, go out and earn it yourself." I don't need a psychologica signal that Congress cares about me, I need a pshychological signal that says Congress understands what has to be done for the good of hte country, not necessarily what makes me feel better.

But this is not a Congress of parents, but a Congress of pushovers.

No comments: