Thursday, September 18, 2008

BlackBerrys are Homewreckers

From the ABA Journal, 35% of Professionals Would Choose BlackBerry Over Spouse. Two possible scenarios: they don't like their spouse or they have real issues with communication.
Professionals have a love-hate relationship with their BlackBerrys, and in some cases it’s interfering with their marriages.

Thirty-five percent of 6,500 professionals surveyed said they would pick their personal digital assistants over their spouses, if they had to choose, and 87 percent said they take their PDAs into their bedrooms, the Chicago Sun-Times reports.

Eighty-four percent of the respondents check their BlackBerrys before they go to bed and when they wake up, while 85 percent check them in the middle of the night, according to the survey by Sheraton Hotels & Resorts.

Eight-five percent said modern technology makes them feel compelled to be connected to work 24/7. On the other hand, 84 percent said PDAs give them more quality time and flexibility with family and friends.
I have a work issued BlackBerry and I have to tell you that while I take it with me when we go out, I am not obsessivly checking it.

The problem with BlackBerry toting lawyers is that if you use them to respond to clients at odd times, the clients will begin to believe they can contact you at odd times and expect an answer. While I work very hard for my clients there are boundaries to my efforts and clients have to understand that very little work they think they need acutally has to be done right now.

No comments: